Halfway There: Assessing Your Mental Health and Setting Goals for The Rest of The Year
The start of the year is typically used to create year-long resolutions and long-term plans for the rest of the year. The mid-year mark, on the other hand, offers an excellent opportunity to reflect on our mental health and to set goals for the remainder of the year. Doing a mid-year check-in is perfect for realigning your goals and re-evaluating them to check on your pace and progress.
By consciously examining our mental health status and setting proactive goals, we can achieve better emotional balance and overall productivity. We also get to avoid simply navigating the remainder of the year passively, but instead, taking a more action role in shaping it into a period of growth, productivity, and improved mental health.
The Importance of Doing a Mid-Year Mental Health Check-In
It's essential to pause, take a breath, and assess our mental wellbeing. This mid-year mental health check-in allows us to acknowledge any stressors, and emotional ups and downs, and to take stock of our coping mechanisms.
Regular self-assessment of mental health has been shown to increase emotional self-awareness and emotional regulation, leading to reduced stress and anxiety. It also helps in early detection and management of potential mental health issues.
How to Check In With Yourself Mentally
Checking in with your mental health is a proactive step towards maintaining emotional wellbeing. Here are some practical ways to conduct a mid-year mental health check-in.
- Practice Structured Self-Reflection: Carve out specific times in your day or week for self-reflection. This could be through journaling, guided meditations, breathing techniques, or simply sitting quietly in contemplation. Pay close attention to your emotional state and any recurring stressors or triggers. ThoughtFullChat offers wellness progress trackers such as mood trackers, which provide a structured way to monitor your emotional states and progress.
- Use Self-Assessment Tools: Make use of online self-assessment tools like the Kessler Psychological Distress Scale (K10) or the Depression Anxiety Stress Scale (DASS). While these aren't a substitute for professional help, they can provide a quantitative measure of your mental well-being. You can also use the emotional health assessment on the ThoughtFullChat app to track your emotional wellbeing and monitor your progress.
- Seek Professional Help: If your self-reflection or assessment tools indicate high levels of distress, don't hesitate to seek professional help. Services like ThoughtFullChat provide confidential, easy access to your best-fit mental health professionals who can offer guidance and support. Remember, reaching out for help is a sign of strength, not weakness.
How to Set Goals for The Rest of The Year
The process of goal setting offers a strategic pathway for personal growth and improved wellbeing. Here are some ways you can effectively set mental health goals, as well as personal career goals for the rest of the years.
- Crafting SMART Mental Wellness Goals: Make your goals Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound. SMART goals offer a clear path forward and can be easily tracked, increasing your chances of success. ThoughtFull's emotional health trackers can help you track your mental health progress, enhancing your journey towards improved mental well-being.
- Think both long and short: Short-term goals provide immediate focus and gratification, while long-term goals offer a larger vision for your mental health. Balancing both is key for sustained motivation.
- Embrace Self-Compassion: While setting and working towards your goals, remember to extend kindness to yourself. The path to mental wellness isn't always linear - some days will be more challenging than others, and that's okay. Understanding that part of striving towards your goals includes taking days off to rest and recharge.
Ways Organisations Can Support Mental Check-Ins and Goal Setting Through Employee Management
Organisations can support their employees' mental health and goal-setting endeavours in several ways:
- Facilitate Mental Health Workshops: By hosting frequent workshops, employees are equipped to recognize signs of mental distress and are provided with the tools for self-assessment. Incorporate ThoughtFull's learning packs and self-care tools to supplement these workshops, allowing employees to learn at their own pace about managing stress, improving sleep, and cultivating healthy habits.
- Promote a Healthy Work-Life Balance: Encourage a work environment that respects and promotes work-life balance. Support employees in taking time off for self-reflection and relaxation. Our app-based daily bite-sized coaching and personalised webinars provide preventive measures that help your team maintain mental equilibrium, even amidst their demanding schedules.
- Implement a Goal-Setting Framework: Adopt a systematic approach such as the SMART goal setting to help employees set and reach their personal and professional goals. Coupled with ThoughtFull's growth tracking tools, your team can monitor their wellness progress, deepening their self-understanding and aiding them in achieving their goals.
Embracing Mental Health Awareness and Goal-Setting for a Productive Year Ahead
As we continue our journey through the second half of the year, it's crucial to keep the principles of mental health and effective goal-setting at the forefront of our minds. Regularly performing mental health check-ins and strategically setting goals are not merely standalone activities. Instead, they are interwoven tools that can enhance our mental well-being, boost productivity, and facilitate personal and professional growth.
By bringing together regular mental health check-ins and strategic goal-setting, we can create a synergistic effect. When we are in a better mental state, we are more likely to stay motivated, focused, and persistent in achieving our goals. Conversely, the process of achieving our goals can provide a sense of accomplishment and purpose, which boosts our mental health.
Read other Mental Wellness Resources:
We’re Here to Help!
💼 Want to build a healthier and more resilient organisation? Drop us a note here to get a free organisational wellbeing assessment and a free demo of ThoughtFull’s seamless end-to-end mental wellbeing program.
👤 Looking for a professional to support your personal mental wellness journey? Download our app on the App Store and Google Play to connect with your best-fit certified ThoughtFull Professional today!